Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Baba Yaga & Vasilissa

Baba Yaga is a character from Russian fairy tales. She is an old witch (sometimes nice and sometimes canabalistic) who lives deep in the forest in a hut with chicken feet. At night the hut is lit by the light of glowing skulls. In the particular story I'm illustrating, a girl by the name of Vasilissa is sent to Baba Yaga's house by her evil stepmother; the stepmother hopes Baba Yaga will kill Vasilissa. But Vasilissa has a magic doll to help her.




And here's my process, if you're interested :P

I played around with lots of different ideas but this is the thumbnail I decided on.

Thumbnail to rough pencil sketch. Lots of photoshop tweeking to get everything just right.


Some designing sketches...

Costumes based on traditional Russian folkware


And here's the value and color studies. Played with different light temperatures. I switched the figure a bit from these studies...



Just a small note on reference. I built a diorama to see how candlelit would play out in this scene. It was a simple one though, some colored paper, cardboard and a few candles, oh and a doll. It really helped by clarifying issues with the lighting. I also burned a bit of my plaster skull figuring out how skulls would glow. Oops. And I posed for the little girl. Good reference is a pain to get but it helps so much.

Started with the big gradients to make sure I got them right. If I messed up on them, it meant starting a whole new painting. Progress pics are courtesy of my phone, so excuse their darkness and bad quality.




Next another hard task: painting Vasilissa. Again if I messed up here it was time to start over......


Almost done........

And just a refresher of what the final is...






No comments:

Post a Comment